I don’t think there is a woman left in the UK who, if they haven’t read THE book, they’ve certainly heard about it ! Of course, I’m talking about Fifty Shades of Grey, the saucy novel by EL James.
Whilst opinions and reviews are divided, there is no doubt that the book has injected some “oomph” into the adult toy, lingerie, fashion,novelty and beauty markets and with a film being made, the future looks very bright indeed. So, whilst you are waiting for the film to be made and released, here are some fun FASHION (in a kind of fashion!) tips to help you create your own Mr Grey/ Anastasia Steele (or ‘Mrs Robinson’ !) scenario :
- WAXING Mr Grey liked his ladies smooth and was very particular that they were waxed often. I must admit, I’ve tried home waxing kits ..what a disaster! Going to somebody who is properly qualified is the way to go to make the experience less messy and painful ! Or failing that, I highly recommend using Body Shop’s Africa Ximenia & Salt Scrub from the Spa Wisdom range as a “shaving cream/foam”, followed by your favourite body lotion and finished with an all over spraying of Body Shop’s Neroli Jasmin Body Mist. Mmmm….pure heaven.( www.thebodyshop.co.uk )
- LINGERIE Stockings are a must …try Aristoc Sensuous 10 denier stockings or Leg Avenue’s Cuban Heel Stockings. Or if you fancy playing the part of “Mrs Robinson” instead…Leg Avenue’s 3 piece Halter Top, Flutter Skirt & G -string in Glamourous Red. All available at www.essexylegs.co.uk.
- THE DRESS Nothing oozes classy sexiness than the Julieanne Dress from Agent Provocateur (www.agentprovocateur.com). In a silk and cotton cashmere mix material, this elegant dress has buttons from the neckline to just above the knee …so it’s up to you how much you reveal…
- SHOES It has to be, without a doubt, Louboutins!!! www.christianlouboutin.com …well worth a window shop – the website itself just needs to be seen ! Also check out www.buyheels.co.uk – the heels are absolutely gorgeous! Or, really go to town, with the Pleaser Delight Lace-Up Platform Stilettoes, from www.lovehoney.co.uk ….. need I say more!
- THE RED ROOM OF PAIN Totally optional, of course, BUT if you did want to redecorate your spare room, Homebase Home of Colour Matt/Silk Emulsion Paint in ” Show Stopper” would set the scene nicely for the walls,door & ceiling !! (www.homebase.co.uk). On the bed, go for the sensuous red satin bedding and pillows, from Agent Provocateur (www.agentprovocateur.com).
- THE DRINK Pinot Grigio to start perhaps, and then progress to the champagne?? Sound good ?? Marks & Spencer are having a wine sale at the moment …. pick up a case of 6 bottles of the superb Louis Chaurey Champagne for £90 (www.marksandspencer.com).
- THE TOYS Ann Summers reps (among others) are all helping ladies re-live the fantasies of Mr Grey and Anastasia Steele with amazing offers on bondage accessories,whips and other sensual products! (www.annsummers.com). You could also visit the “Grey Expectations Store” at www.tabooessentials.com …kits come with a grey satin sash ! Agent Provocateur (www.agentprovocateur.com) also offer a range of affordable eye masks as well as other such products, including a rather neat crystal whip …I’ll let you dwell on that!
- DRESSING MR GREY Ladies, it’s no good preparing for this scenario without dressing your Mr Grey!!! Christian Grey sported ripped, button fly jeans for the encounters in the Red Room, so…check out the sexy Joe Brown’s Vintage Ripped Jeans (www.joebrowns.co.uk).
- READY TO SLEEP There’s nothing that Christian Grey liked more than seeing Anastasia in a classic silk nightdress/chemise when out of the Red Room. Julianne’s “Samantha Chemise” – a classic silk chemise that’s carefully shaped to enhance and follow your curves. Available in black, cream or golden beige. (www.figleaves.com).
- AND IF ALL THIS FAILS TO IMPRESS you could always bake some cakes and use the “50 Shades of Grey” edible cake toppers …a vast selection available on ebay (www.ebay.co.uk). As the saying goes, the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach……