I don’t think there is a woman left in the UK who, if they haven’t read THE book, they’ve certainly heard about it ! Of course, I’m talking about Fifty Shades of Grey, the saucy novel by EL James.
Whilst opinions and reviews are divided, there is no doubt that the book has injected some “oomph” into the adult toy, lingerie, fashion,novelty and beauty markets and with a film being made, the future looks very bright indeed. So, whilst you are waiting for the film to be made and released, here are some fun FASHION (in a kind of fashion!) tips to help you create your own Mr Grey/ Anastasia Steele (or ‘Mrs Robinson’ !) scenario :
- WAXING Mr Grey liked his ladies smooth and was very particular that they were waxed often. I must admit, I’ve tried home waxing kits ..what a disaster! Going to somebody who is properly qualified is the way to go to make the experience less messy and painful ! Or failing that, I highly recommend using Body Shop’s Africa Ximenia & Salt Scrub from the Spa Wisdom range as a “shaving cream/foam”, followed by your favourite body lotion and finished with an all over spraying of Body Shop’s Neroli Jasmin Body Mist. Mmmm….pure heaven.( www.thebodyshop.co.uk )
- LINGERIE Stockings are a must …try Aristoc Sensuous 10 denier stockings or Leg Avenue’s Cuban Heel Stockings. Or if you fancy playing the part of “Mrs Robinson” instead…Leg Avenue’s 3 piece Halter Top, Flutter Skirt & G -string in Glamourous Red. All available at www.essexylegs.co.uk.
- THE DRESS Nothing oozes classy sexiness than the Julieanne Dress from Agent Provocateur (www.agentprovocateur.com). In a silk and cotton cashmere mix material, this elegant dress has buttons from the neckline to just above the knee …so it’s up to you how much you reveal…
- SHOES It has to be, without a doubt, Louboutins!!! www.christianlouboutin.com …well worth a window shop – the website itself just needs to be seen ! Also check out www.buyheels.co.uk – the heels are absolutely gorgeous! Or, really go to town, with the Pleaser Delight Lace-Up Platform Stilettoes, from www.lovehoney.co.uk ….. need I say more!
- THE RED ROOM OF PAIN Totally optional, of course, BUT if you did want to redecorate your spare room, Homebase Home of Colour Matt/Silk Emulsion Paint in ” Show Stopper” would set the scene nicely for the walls,door & ceiling !! (www.homebase.co.uk). On the bed, go for the sensuous red satin bedding and pillows, from Agent Provocateur (www.agentprovocateur.com).
- THE DRINK Pinot Grigio to start perhaps, and then progress to the champagne?? Sound good ?? Marks & Spencer are having a wine sale at the moment …. pick up a case of 6 bottles of the superb Louis Chaurey Champagne for £90 (www.marksandspencer.com).
- THE TOYS Ann Summers reps (among others) are all helping ladies re-live the fantasies of Mr Grey and Anastasia Steele with amazing offers on bondage accessories,whips and other sensual products! (www.annsummers.com). You could also visit the “Grey Expectations Store” at www.tabooessentials.com …kits come with a grey satin sash ! Agent Provocateur (www.agentprovocateur.com) also offer a range of affordable eye masks as well as other such products, including a rather neat crystal whip …I’ll let you dwell on that!
- DRESSING MR GREY Ladies, it’s no good preparing for this scenario without dressing your Mr Grey!!! Christian Grey sported ripped, button fly jeans for the encounters in the Red Room, so…check out the sexy Joe Brown’s Vintage Ripped Jeans (www.joebrowns.co.uk).
- READY TO SLEEP There’s nothing that Christian Grey liked more than seeing Anastasia in a classic silk nightdress/chemise when out of the Red Room. Julianne’s “Samantha Chemise” – a classic silk chemise that’s carefully shaped to enhance and follow your curves. Available in black, cream or golden beige. (www.figleaves.com).
- AND IF ALL THIS FAILS TO IMPRESS you could always bake some cakes and use the “50 Shades of Grey” edible cake toppers …a vast selection available on ebay (www.ebay.co.uk). As the saying goes, the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach……
CONGRATULATIONS! ….you’re getting married! You’ve bought the dress, planned the colour scheme, booked the reception venue, found your dream photographer, twizzled your hair, grown your nails, designed the flower arrangements, sent out the invites, staked out the church, sampled the wares of the caterers, calmed family squabbles, appealed to the sun to shine, fell in love with airbrush foundation, researched the musical entertainment, succumbed to the hen night plans….NOW you’re ready for the great wedding shoe hunt!
Today’s brides have so much choice that your shoes for your special day can be tailor made to reflect your mood,personality,colour scheme, dress style, comfort or you can unleash your inner diva and go for something totally funky !
- TRADITIONAL/VINTAGE – mid heel courts or bridal flats in plain white or ivory or pastel colours, maybe in satin and embellished with pearl,lace or bow details. Still very stylish and flattering. Check out the range at www.weddingbellesbrides.co.uk – their shoe range is totally classy and affordable.
- HEELS & BLING – sky high heels and wedges blinged with crystals,diamante, pearls and studs. In a range of colours and shades and styles from ivory pearl to leopard print stunners … no colour is left out ! On the other end of the heel spectrum you can often get matching flat pumps … so you don’t have to be uncomfortable to bling if heels are not your thing! I would suggest investing in some foot pads to insert into your heels …mine cost a pound or two from my local Kleeneze agent…they really do help to ease the burning sensation from being in heels all day! Or for something really different, wear blinged converse trainers!! There are a lot of companies that offer these heels, especially on Facebook, like Diamond Divas (www.facebook.com/diamonddivas3) and Princess Sparkle ( www.facebook.com/kpboutique).
- SHADES OF BLUE – To fulfil the tradition of wearing something blue, shoes would be a great idea. Again there is a vast spectrum of blue shades to choose from and a vast selection of heels and styles catering for every budget. High Street chains, such as BHS (www.bhs.co.uk) are a good place to source your wedding shoes.
- QUIRKY/FUNKY – Red is becoming quite a popular wedding shoe colour. From tartan courts (www.internacionale.com) to the gothic/rock look of popular brand Iron Fist ( both heels and flats). Iron Fist shoes can be found on Amazon (click on their advert link at the bottom of the page), and in independent boutiques such as Unique Boutique ( www.theuniqueboutiqueclothing.co.uk) and La Boutique (www.laboutiqueessex.co.uk). OR be really funky and quirky and don a pair of Doc Martens for a comfy and trendy march down the aisle! (as modelled by the lovely Jemima Williams in the above photo).
- BRIDAL FLATS – If you really can’t walk in tottering heels or sky high wedges, then flats will fit the bill. Flats may be comfortable but they needn’t be frumpy …some brides have recommended Indian beaded Khussa leather shoes, purchased from ebay. Gorgeous and comfortable…what more could you want…
- AND LASTLY, if you do wear heels you could always invest in a pair of foldaway handbag pumps…ideal for the night’s end. Selection available from www.essexylegs.co.uk.
Whatever you decide to wear I hope you have a fabulous day! Don’t forget to check out my Facebook group, Boots,Shoes et Al,(click on the Facebook button at the top of the page to go straight to my group page) to get ideas from fellow members or if you need help in locating the perfect shoe for you, put in your request and we’ll do our very best to help you.
Photo credits: The photo was taken in Greenwich, London by Adam of Adam Hobden Photography (www.adamhobden.com). The model was the delightful Jemima Williams (http://illustrateher.wordpress.com/)
Hi! I’m Linda and a big welcome to my blog!
I’m currently running the Facebook group, Boots Shoes et Al , and this blog I hope will compliment the information, friendships and general discussions already being experienced in the group. With this blog I hope to share my passions for fashion, footwear,beauty,music,photography and socialising …!!! I will be chatting to some lovely people about their fashion passions; I will be delving into my make up bag and accessory drawer for product assessments; and, of course, I’ll be indulging in some truly fabulous boots and shoes conversations!
So, let’s get ready to rumble, come on in and join me !!!
Feel free to contact me via comments, Facebook or email.