This week I have been tagged by the gorgeous Jess of Shopgirl Anonymous to take part in a blogging travel tag. I was delighted to take part, as apart from being a fashion/footwear geek, bookworm, foodie and music fan, I am also a bit of a travel/geography geek – so this seemed a good a time as any to give this tag a whirl!
What is your favourite place that you have visited?
Start with the hardest questions, why don’t you?! That is so, so difficult because I do enjoy every place that I have been lucky enough to visit! OK.. here goes…
- My favourite UK city outside of London is Bath. On the day I visited, it rained but it still didn’t dampen the atmosphere of the place. I did try the famous Roman Baths water … ugh! (I needed a glass of Pinot Grigio to take the taste away). I also visited a glass blowing studio – it was fascinating to watch how glass was made.
- My favourite part of London: Covent Garden. Love the market area, the food places, the pubs, the shops… check out Penhaligon’s Perfume Shop 🙂
- My favourite European city: Toss up between Amsterdam and Rome. Both walkable cities, filled with gorgeous buildings – Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and Rome’s Tivoli Fountain area. Food wise I recommend an Indonesian restaurant for a tapas style meal in Amsterdam (and chips with mayo) and in Rome, well, food is good wherever you go! I love Italian wine too – red Barolo and white, Pinot Grigio… and for an aperitif, Limoncello.
- My favourite city outside Europe: Miami. I liked the vibe. And the tattoo shops (Miami Ink).
- Favourite Non Europe destination: Florida Keys. I tasted the most fabulous Key Lime pie in Key Largo and I enjoyed the tour of Hemingway’s home in Key West. I went in August – it was extremely hot.
- Favourite Europe destination: Madeira. Loved everything about this island from the rum punch to the mountainous scenery. Unfortunately we were unable to do the street sledding down the Monte in Funchal as forest fires were raging – but it is a perfect excuse to revisit!
- Favourite winter destination: Finland. Yes, it is extremely cold in winter. However, I went in December to the extreme north west of Finland, over 200 miles north of the Arctic Circle. It was beautiful. You travelled about by skidoo or sleighs pulled by reindeers or husky dogs; the Northern Lights was a fantastic spectacle, hot chocolate laced with spirit (like brandy) was both warming & welcoming, and if you have children, Father Christmas lives not far away …
If you could visit anywhere tomorrow, where would you go?
Sicily. I’d trek up Mount Etna, admire the view and then head back down the slopes to Taormina for a well deserved limoncello.
Would you rather a city or beach holiday?
I am happiest where there are mountains or volcanoes or sand dunes or hills – so that is my first criteria usually when booking a destination. I live in a flat coastal estuary area so being in an upland area makes a pleasant change. My favourite beach currently is the Kenyan coast north of Mombasa at Nyali.
My Top 3 Travel Essentials
- iPhone – for use as a camera & music station (especially on the flight)
- Kindle – I make sure I have downloaded plenty of books as I try and read a lot on holiday!
- Mints/Sweets – I can’t do any journey without them – including my commute into work!
What Is The Most Adventurous Dish You Have Ever Tried From Another Country?
I’ve eaten snails and frog’s legs in France; and Dik Dik Antelope and Crocodile Steaks in Kenya. My friend and her family went to Vietnam & Cambodia over Christmas and they ate deep fried tarantula spiders! Even her girls who are 8 & 10! Having said that, my 10 year old son has happily devoured crunchy crickets and mealworms!
My 4 Essential Travel Footwear.
They are all flat so easy to pack and I DO need 4 pairs:
- Jewelled thongs
- denim ballerinas
- sparkly espadrilles
- slip on shoes
Thank you Jess for the fun idea! I hope, dear readers, that you enjoyed the tag too. Why not have a go at answering the questions – I’d love to hear about your travel stories and adventures!
Photo credits: Linda Hobden
© 2017 – 2018, Linda. All rights reserved.