If you are anything like me, I do like a good book to read, especially when I’m on holiday. I like a variety of genres… I must admit to loving the gritty thrillers, horrors and mysteries; although I just as readily delve into the realms of the classics, the historical sagas, the travel journals and the fun loving feel good romantic comedies. So when I was given the chance to read “What Happens In France” by Carol Wyer before it’s publication on January 28th 2019, it was a more than a pleasure.
Carol is an author I’m well acquainted with – I read her book Three Little Birds and was smitten with her feel good romantic comedy style. Thankfully she agreed to an interview (read the interview HERE) and I’ve been following her career ever since. I’ve read every book she has written since then too. Carol has written romantic comedies like “Life Swap”; she has written non-fiction such as “Grumpy Old Menopause” which won the People’s Prize for non fiction 2015; she has written thrilling crime in 2017 – the 1st book in her DI Robyn Carter series “Little Girl Lost” shot to #2 best selling spot on kindle, #9 best-selling audiobook on Audible, and a USA Today top 150 best sellers; and now Carol has returned to writing a heart warming romantic comedy – “What Happens In France”.
“What Happens In France” in a nutshell….
For years Bryony Masters has been looking for her long lost sister Hannah. When her father has a stroke, Bryony realises that time is running out and she is even more determined to find Hannah to reunite the family before it is too late. Bryony spots an advertisement for candidates for a new prime time game show and fondly remembering that Hannah was a TV game show addict, decides that applying to take part might be a great way of getting her search for Hannah in the public eye…hoping that Hannah herself would come forward. Of course, Bryony gets through and that’s when her adventures begin…. a private jet, stunning French countryside, a handsome team mate, interesting and unique personalities, game show antics….. and a delightful pug dog called Biggie Smalls….
What I loved about “What Happens In France”….
- The details. Over the past year, I have spotted Carol on TV taking part in daytime game shows and I know that she has spent a lot of time in France … Carol has always embraced challenges in order to write truthfully about experiences – it shows in this book: the game show process, the characters, the knowledge of the part of France where the fictional game show is set.
- The characters. Believable characters. And the delightful pug dog, Biggie Smalls. I loved how all the characters came alive in my head and were so relatable – the handsome team mate Lewis, the vain and pompous quizmaster, Bryony’s ill father who asks for Hannah all the time. Bryony is a fab character – she holds a place in my heart – I wanted her to believe in herself at times!
- The storyline. It’s a different angle to most romantic comedies. It is really hard to do a review without giving too much away as quite often I want to tell every minute detail but although I want to reveal all I am really going to zip it! Suffice to say I really hope Carol follows up on this story with a part 2 … about what happens after France … I need to know what happens next!
- It is an easy going, feel good romantic comedy that embraces friendships, family, love and laugh out loud moments. It is one of those books that the pages keep turning and you can lose track of time…. Ideal for relaxing by that pool, perhaps in France….
- If you like authors such as Marian Keyes, then this book is in the same ilk. You won’t be disappointed.
“What Happens In France” by Carol Wyer is published by Canelo. Release Date: 28 January 2019. ISBN: 9781788632768. Pre Order from Amazon HERE.
Thanks goes to Carol Wyer and Ellie of Canelo Publishing for giving me the opportunity to read the book before general release. I loved it.
Thanks to Carol for her kind permission for allowing publication of the photographs (except the pinning photo which was taken by myself (Linda Hobden) in France).