DISCLAIMER ALERT: The silk pillowcase has been supplied by Calidad Home for the purpose of this review however all opinions expressed are 100% mine.
Do you suffer from bed head hair in the morning? Are you battling to keep cool at night when your menopausal body is making you sweat? Are you looking for a hypoallergenic pillowcase? Then I might have the answer for you – the Calidad Home Silk Pillowcase! I was sent a gold silk pllowcase to try out and here’s what I thought….
It was a chance conversation many years ago that founder Michelle had with a girlfriend about waking up with hair resembling a birds nest, and her friend remarking that she found sleeping on a silk pillow helped not only her hair but her skin too, that introduced Michelle to the delights of silk. Michelle did extensive research into silk, and after discovering the world’s most luxurious silk – 100% Mulberry Silk, 22 Momme, Grade 6A , long strand silk – Michelle began selling 100% Mulberry Silk pillowcases in 2018. Her brand, Calidad Home, was born. “Calidad” is Spanish for quality and is an apt name as these pillowcases ooze a combination of luxury, quality, thickness and durability. Apart from pillowcases, the website offers a variety of giftboxes – ideal presents for all occasions. The website: www.silkpillowcase.co.uk
The silk pillowcases are luxuriously packed as befits a luxurious item – the letterbox box had “silk” quotes on it and the silk pillowcase was well wrapped to prevent postal damage. There is currently free fast delivery in the UK (1 – 3 days) and, at a cost, next day UK delivery, standard delivery to Ireland and worldwide delivery also available.
There are a range of delightful colours of the website, and there is bound to be a colour or two that will fit in with your decor. I received the pillowcase in ”gold” but other colours available include white, grey, ivory, light pink, charcoal, dark pink, tie dye pattern, dark blue, taupe, black, light blue, leopard print, aqua, jade, zebra print, snakeskin, and lilac. The pillowcase itself is 50cm x 75cm – fits standard UK pillow sizes.
SILK – THE BENEFITS
There are lots of known benefits about sleeping on a silk pillow :
- it reduces fine lines and wrinkles – umm I’ve not had the pillowcase that long to say whether I have noticed a reduction to my wrinkles … so watch this space!
- sleeker, smoother hair (no more bedhead hair) – My hair hasn’t been like a bird’s nest in the morning 😊
- Hydrating glowing skin – when you sleep on a cotton pillowcase, cotton is an absorbent material that will suck the moisture out of your skin. Silk is a natural product and has an amazingly smooth texture that doesn’t snag or dry out your skin. My son has tried out the pillow for a few weeks – his acne has cleared up significantly.
- Hypoallergenic – the pillow is a repellent against bed mites, dust and pollen. As both my son and I suffer from hay fever (grass pollen and tree pollen respectively) I found it greatly reduced my itchy eyes and my son currently has been ok too.
- Cooling to sleep on – a big plus for me! I hate a warm pillow!! As silk is a natural product, the pillow will keep you cool in summer and warm in winter.
- Durable and strong – not tested this aspect but silk is 5 times stronger than steel. Michelle’s own children have had pillow fights and the pillowcases haven’t suffered. I believe you. The pillowcases feel thick and substantial and are well made and finished.
The pillowcase is fully machine washable. The advice is to wash on a cool wash (30°) inside out, the company recommends Ecover and no stain removers. I followed the advice to the letter. There were a couple of dribble stains that did not fully disappear after washing but are hardly noticeable. The pillowcase was quick to dry – tumble drying is not recommended and the advice was to dry laying flat. I don’t have an area where I could lie the pillowcase to dry , so I did put it on my washing line to dry. After washing, the pillowcase did crease a lot but a cool iron solved that problem quickly.
I like this pillowcase. It certainly looks good, has many benefits and is machine washable to boot. I love the variety of colours available and the silk pillowcase makes a gorgeous gift whether on its own, in a giftbox or as part of a larger pamper giftbox. My thanks to Michelle for giving me the opportunity to review, enjoy and reap the benefits of this lovely silk pillowcase.
All photographs were taken by Linda Hobden,